Fajitas (pronounced fah-hee-tas) are typically made with grilled strips of skirt steak mixed with onions and bell peppers, and served sizzling hot with fresh tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. This classic Tex-Mex dish can be made using either steak or chicken Here’s a quick and easy recipe for steak fajitas.
This recipe serves 4.
- 1 lb of flank steak or skirt steak
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced with the grain, not against the grain as one would normally slice an onion. Slice first in half, and then slice off sections a half inch wide at widest point.
- 2 large bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, de-ribbed, sliced lengthwise into half-inch wide strips
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 fresh Jalapeño pepper, seeded, ribs removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, including stems
1 Mix all marinade ingredients. Set the steak in the marinade and let it sit at least an hour, the longer the better.
2 Heat a large cast iron pan or griddle to high heat. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the steak, frying on each side for 3 minutes, or to desired doneness. 3 minutes per side will yield approximately medium rare doneness for an average cut of flank steak. If pan starts to smoke too much, reduce the heat to medium high. We want the steak browned, not burned. Remove from pan and let sit for 5 minutes.
3 Reduce the pan heat to medium high. Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary. Add the onions, bell peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, until the onions are slightly translucent.
4 Slice the meat against the grain into thin slices. If you slice the meat at a slanted angle, you will be able to get your slices pretty thin. Flank steak is flavorful but can be a little tough, so thin slices will really help make it easier to eat.
5 Serve immediately with shredded cheese, salsa, shredded iceberg lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and warm flour tortillas. (Hint for warming tortillas – put in microwave over a paper towel for 20 seconds on high heat.)